Providing security and maintaining order at various events and businesses.
Directing and facilitating traffic flow at various events and construction sites.
- Escorting the transportation of heavy or oversized equipment where a City or State permit is required.
- Funeral Escorts are limited to six (6) vehicles.
Special duty assignments will not be performed:
- On behalf of an employer or union involved in a labor dispute or other dispute of a civil or criminal nature;
- At any union gathering;
- To provide body guard services;
- Where performance implies participation in partisan politics;
- At establishments where the primary business is the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages;
- At any other assignment conflicting with established Honolulu Police Department policies.
Large Events, Concerts, and Permits
Large events are defined as events that require ten (10) or more officers in a single day. At the discretion of the MED Commander, the requestor may be required to hire an administrative special duty sergeant in addition to any supervisory personnel requested to oversee the event. This is to ensure the proper coordination of the special duty assignments at the event.
The Honolulu Police Department reserves the right to increase the number of officers needed for such an event based on the size, nature, and venue of the event.
Requestors / vendors are responsible for obtaining any permits or other forms of approval required by law for holding events or jobs. Special duty officers will be required to enforce these requirements and to close down any unauthorized or illegal jobs and events in conjunction with on duty police supervisors.