The Honolulu Police Department wants everyone to be safe and protected this holiday season. Here are some tips for you and your loved ones.
- Go with a family member or friend, especially if you will be shopping at night.
- Pay attention to who and what’s going on around you.
- Look for parking that’s well-lit, near other cars, and in view security cameras.
- Secure vehicle doors and windows, and don’t leave valuables in plain view.
- Anchor outdoor Christmas decorations securely to the ground and use motion-activated lights in the yard. Consider bringing smaller or more expensive decorations inside at night.
- Don’t post on social media when you’ll be away from home.
- Don’t display gifts where they can be seen from the outside.
- Lock the doors even while you’re home.
- If you see a suspicious person or vehicle, call 911.
Online Shopping, Home Deliveries
- Buy from established, trusted retailers.
- Don’t give out credit card or other personal info unless you’ve initiated the transaction.
- If you’re expecting a delivery, try to have someone at home to receive it or send the package to a neighbor or relative who will be home. If this isn’t possible, see if the package can be put in an area that’s out of street view.
- Don’t leave boxes for large expensive items like TVs and computers intact at the curb. It lets thieves know what’s inside the home.
- Watch out for your neighbors and report suspicious activity to 911.