Back



HPD Latest News



Generic Story Image






Waipahu deadly fire investigation completed


The Honolulu Fire Department (HFD) fire investigators have completed their investigation of the fire at 94-415 Apowale Street in Waipahu and have determined that the fire accidentally began in the kitchen and was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall outlet behind the refrigerator.

The Apowale Street fire occurred on Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at approximately 12:45 a.m. First arriving fire fighters found the home engulfed in flames and were told that there might still be occupants inside. After controlling the fire from the exterior, firefighters were able to enter the structure and discovered two bodies on the home's first floor; a male in the living room in the front of the house, and a female in a bedroom in the rear of the house. A third person escaped from the fire without injury and was outside of the home when the HFD arrived. Property damage from this fire is estimated at $450,000. These are the first two residential fire fatalities on Oahu this year.

The Honolulu Fire Department's Fire Prevention Bureau can help answer questions regarding making a residential fire escape plan. It can also help residents learn how to install and maintain their home's smoke alarms. The HFD's Fire Prevention Bureau can be reached at 723-7162.